The Town of New Castle operates a Kruger Anox Kaldnes Hybas treatment plant that was put online in 2009. The plant has a hydraulic rating of 0.6 MGD and organic capacity of 1,821 lb/ day.
The Water Treatment Facility is rated at 3.6 MGD and is a surface water treatment plant using WesTech mixed media, micro flock, rapid mix filters.
The Collections and Distribution department performs all of its maintenance and operations in house, such as fire hydrant flow testing, main line break repairs, valve exercising, sewer main line jetting and rehab
The town is seeking an entry level operator position that can assist scheduled and unscheduled maintenance tasks, and can operate and track supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) trending and make adjustments as needed. The position will assist with testing the influent loading and the effluent discharge of the treatment plant and reporting the results to the CDPHE each month. The plant is run using automated and manual control set point levels that ensure compliance with federal and state regulations. The position will assist with monitoring these parameters and identifying constraints and make revisions as necessary. The position will also assists with water plant operations and collection and distribution maintenance/operation. The position requires the operator to occasionally be on call and work weekends/holidays. This operator will also need to have the ability to operate heavy equipment, assist with water leak repairs, and read water meters.
The position provides the opportunity to develop skills and certifications in wastewater treatment, water treatment, and collection and distribution. The applicant must be willing to learn and apply the skills and knowledge to make New Castle a better place to live.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Daily inspection and record keeping of plant operations.
- Assist with scheduled maintenance and repair of pumps, motors and instrumentation.
- Assist with process control testing and make changes to achieve target set point levels to insure the plant meets required discharge limits.
- Able to perform required testing and monitoring required by the CDPHE and EPA each month.
- Able to calibrate laboratory and field instrumentation and able to process online monitoring probes.
- Ability to understand and operate SCADA controls and trending.
- Able to follow operational control procedures and SOP’s.
- Able to obtain a Class B CDL
- This position will also be working with the water plant operator to help with maintenance and operations of the treatment plant as needed.
- Will also assist the collections and distributions (C&D) technician with pump station and lift station and main line, maintenance and repair.
- Must have the ability to walk water meter routes in all types of weather and have good customer relation skills.
- Will be on call to respond to emergency water line repairs and plant emergencies.
- Will be required to work some weekends/holidays on a rotating on-call schedule.
- Working knowledge of MS Office.
- High school diploma or 1 year related experience of plant operations.
- Back ground in science and engineering is desirable.
- Ability to operate a backhoe, dump truck and forklift.
- Colorado driver’s license with the ability to obtain a CDL
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs as required by the job
Hiring Pay Range:
Dependent upon qualifications, experience and certification level, $20.00 to $28.00/ hr DOQ
You may also drop off your application off at the Town Hall located at 450 W Main Street in New Castle, or you may send your application to:
PO Box 90
New Castle, CO 81647