The Town of New Castle operates a Kruger Anox Kaldnes Hybas treatment plant that was put online in 2009. The plant requires a B Wastewater certification to be the ORC. The plant has a hydraulic rating of 0.6 mgd and organic capacity of 1,821 lb/ day. The plant includes a BioRem odor control process that uses microbes to reduce hydrogen sulfide and ammonia odor. The headwork’s consist of a bar screen and grit removal system.
The town is seeking an operator that can complete scheduled and unscheduled maintenance tasks, and can operate and track supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) trending and make adjustments as needed. The position is responsible for testing the influent loading and the effluent discharge of the treatment plant and reporting the results to the CDPHE each month. We land apply the produced cake sludge, requiring the operator to be responsible for land and sludge testing and reporting. The plant is run using automated and manual control set point levels that ensure compliance with federal and state regulations. The wastewater plant operator is in charge of monitoring these parameters and identifies constraints and makes revisions as necessary. The position sometimes assists with water plant operations and collection and distribution maintenance. The position requires the operator to occasionally be on call and work weekends. This operator will also need to have the ability to operate heavy equipment, assist with water leak repairs, and read water meters.
The position provides the opportunity to develop skills and certifications in wastewater treatment, water treatment, and collection and distribution. The applicant must be willing to learn and apply the skills and knowledge to make New Castle a better place to live.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Daily inspection and record keeping of plant operations.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and repair of pumps, motors and instrumentation.
- Perform process control testing and make changes to achieve target set point levels to insure the plant meets required discharge limits.
- Able to perform required testing and fill out the discharge monitoring report (DMR) required by the CDPHE each month.
- Perform testing and complete annual reports for land application of bio solids.
- Able to calibrate laboratory and field instrumentation and able to process online monitoring probes.
- Ability to understand and operate SCADA controls and trending.
- Able to follow operational control procedures and SOP’s.
- Able to obtain a CDL with a Hazmat endorsement.
- This position will also be working with the water plant operator to help with maintenance and operations of the treatment plant as needed.
- Will also help the collections and distributions (C&D) technician with pump station and lift station maintenance and repair.
- Must have the ability to walk water meter routes in all types of weather and have good customer relation skills.
- Will be on call to respond to emergency water line repairs and plant emergencies.
- Will be required to work weekends on a rotating schedule.
- Working knowledge of MS Office.
- Colorado Wastewater B certification is required to be the operator in responsible charge.
- High school diploma or 1 year related experience of plant operations.
- Back ground in science and engineering is desirable.
- Ability to operate a backhoe, dump truck and forklift.
- Colorado drivers license with the ability to obtain a CDL with a hazmat endorsement.
Hiring Pay Range:
Dependent upon qualifications, experience and certification level, $20.00 to $28.00/ hr DOQ
You may also drop off your application off at the Town Hall located at 450 W Main Street in New Castle, or you may send your application to:
PO Box 90
New Castle, CO 81647