In this Issue:
Symphony Comes to Town October 14
Election Day is November 7
New Castle Ballot Initiative
Did You Know That…
Celebration of Trails
Fall Clean-Up Day is….
Pictures from 2017 Burning Mountain Festival
News from the Recreation Dept
Town Council Highlights
Wildlife Visitors in Town
Ritter Plaza Free Music Series
New Castilians Ride the Bus
Garbage Rate Increase Approved
The Town of New Castle grants money to organizations and for special events that preserve or enrich the health, education, welfare, and fitness of the community. There are two types of grants that the Town funds: Arts and Special Events grants and Community support grants. Each of these categories have to be used in the Town or support programs or activities accessible to the Town community.
The Town’s budget for 2018 is yet to be determined and therefore the budget for the current grants-making initiative is currently unknown. Town funding for grants may fluctuate from year to year. Typically, Town funding for grants has been approximately 1 percent of General Fund expenditures.
The deadline for the applications is November 17, 2017, notification will be by the end of 2017. If you have any questions, please contact Debbie Nichols at (970)984-2311.
PUBLIC NOTICE OF ELECTION
In accordance with Article X, Section 20 of the Colorado Constitution the following Ballot Issue shall be submitted to the qualified electors of the Town of New Castle at an election to be conducted as a coordinated mail ballot election on November 7, 2017, to consider the following ballot issue:
SHALL THE TOWN OF NEW CASTLE’S TAXES BE INCREASED BY $330,000.00 ANNUALLY (FIRST FULL FISCAL YEAR INCREASE) AND BY WHATEVER ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS ARE RAISED ANNUALLY THEREAFTER FOR THE FOLLOWING PURPOSES:
- PROMOTE PUBLIC SAFETY BY FUNDING NEW CASTLE POLICE DEPARTMENT EXPENSES FOR VEHICLES, TRAINING AND EQUIPMENT;
- DEVELOP A PLAN TO CREATE A PLAYING FIELD AND FIELD HOUSE COMPLEX TO SUPPORT OUR COMMUNITY’S YOUNG ATHLETES AND THEIR FAMILIES;
- MAINTAIN AND EXPAND NEW CASTLE’S RECREATION PROGRAMS AND FACILITIES;
- SUPPORT COMMUNITY VOLUNTEER GROUPS WHICH CREATE PROGRAMS, ACTIVITIES, AND EVENTS FOR ARTS, CULTURE, RECREATION, EDUCATION, AND CELEBRATIONS OF NEW CASTLE; AND
- MARKET AND BRAND NEW CASTLE THROUGH IMPROVED SIGNAGE, WAY FINDING, INTERNET CONTENT, SOCIAL MEDIA AND ADVERTISING, WITH THE AIM OF INCREASING REVENUE FOR THE ABOVE OBJECTIVES;
WITH SAID REVENUES BEING ALLOCATED ACCORDING TO THE ADVICE OF A CITIZENS ADVISORY GROUP APPOINTED BY THE NEW CASTLE TOWN COUNCIL AND GENERATED BY IMPOSING A ONE-TIME USE TAX AT PURCHASE OF 3.5% OF THE RETAIL VALUE OF ANY MOTOR VEHICLE THAT REQUIRES REGISTRATION, WITH SAID TAX TO BE IN EFFECT FROM JANUARY 1, 2018 THROUGH AND INCLUDING DECEMBER 31, 2025, AND SHALL THE TOWN BE AUTHORIZED TO COLLECT AND SPEND SUCH REVENUES AS A VOTER APPROVED REVENUE CHANGE NOTWITHSTANDING ANY REVENUE OR EXPENDITURE LIMITATIONS CONTAINED IN ARTICLE X, SECTION 20 OF THE COLORADO CONSTITUTION OR ANY OTHER LAW?
______________ YES/FOR _______________ NO/AGAINST