In accordance with Article X, Section 20 of the Colorado Constitution the following Ballot Issue shall be submitted to the qualified electors of the Town of New Castle at an election to be conducted as a coordinated mail ballot election on November 7, 2017.
SHALL THE TOWN OF NEW CASTLE’S TAXES BE INCREASED BY $330,000.00 ANNUALLY (FIRST FULL FISCAL YEAR INCREASE) AND BY WHATEVER ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS ARE RAISED ANNUALLY THEREAFTER FOR THE FOLLOWING PURPOSES:
- PROMOTE PUBLIC SAFETY BY FUNDING NEW CASTLE POLICE DEPARTMENT EXPENSES FOR VEHICLES, TRAINING AND EQUIPMENT;
- DEVELOP A PLAN TO CREATE A PLAYING FIELD AND FIELD HOUSE COMPLEX TO SUPPORT OUR COMMUNITY’S YOUNG ATHLETES AND THEIR FAMILIES;
- MAINTAIN AND EXPAND NEW CASTLE’S RECREATION PROGRAMS AND FACILITIES;
- SUPPORT COMMUNITY VOLUNTEER GROUPS WHICH CREATE PROGRAMS, ACTIVITIES, AND EVENTS FOR ARTS, CULTURE, RECREATION, EDUCATION, AND CELEBRATIONS OF NEW CASTLE; AND
- MARKET AND BRAND NEW CASTLE THROUGH IMPROVED SIGNAGE, WAY FINDING, INTERNET CONTENT, SOCIAL MEDIA AND ADVERTISING, WITH THE AIM OF INCREASING REVENUE FOR THE ABOVE OBJECTIVES;
WITH SAID REVENUES BEING ALLOCATED ACCORDING TO THE ADVICE OF A CITIZENS ADVISORY GROUP APPOINTED BY THE NEW CASTLE TOWN COUNCIL AND GENERATED BY IMPOSING A ONE-TIME USE TAX AT PURCHASE OF 3.5% OF THE RETAIL VALUE OF ANY MOTOR VEHICLE THAT REQUIRES REGISTRATION, WITH SAID TAX TO BE IN EFFECT FROM JANUARY 1, 2018 THROUGH AND INCLUDING DECEMBER 31, 2025, AND SHALL THE TOWN BE AUTHORIZED TO COLLECT AND SPEND SUCH REVENUES AS A VOTER APPROVED REVENUE CHANGE NOTWITHSTANDING ANY REVENUE OR EXPENDITURE LIMITATIONS CONTAINED IN ARTICLE X, SECTION 20 OF THE COLORADO CONSTITUTION OR ANY OTHER LAW?
______________ YES/FOR _______________ NO/AGAINST
Comments for and against the proposal can be made in writing by mailing them to the office of the Town Clerk/Election Official, P.O. Box 90, New Castle, CO 81647.
C.R.S 1-7-901(4): All Pro/Con comments must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 22, 2017.
C.R.S. 1-7-901: These comments must be written, signed and come from persons eligible to vote in the upcoming election on November 7, 2017.
C.R.S. 1-7-903(1): These comments will be summarized by the Election Official.
C.R.S. 1-7-905: TABOR notices addressed to “All registered voters” will be mailed to every registered voter household beginning October 6, 2017