The Town of New Castle is looking for a Water Treatment Plant Operator, Operator in Responsible Charge. This position provides skilled work in the operation, care, and maintenance of the Town’s drinking water treatment facilities.
The Town of New Castle is nearing completion of an expansion which includes two new filtration units for a total of two Wes-Tech trident, adsorption clarifier/mixed media filter tanks and three US Trimite, Adsorption Clarifier/Mixed Media filter tanks and clear well with associated motors, pipes and controls.
Responsibilities include operating the plant, clear well and filters within regulatory parameters; taking samples both in the field and at the plant for State regulatory compliance. Performing process control test and adjusting operations of the plant as necessary; maintain equipment, buildings, and grounds.
Must be a Colorado Certified Class B Water Operator or higher, or able to obtain Class B within 3 years. Must have a high school degree and a valid Colorado driver’s license. Pay: $20 to 28 per hour, DOQ. Send resume by email to email@example.com
Applications can also be dropped off at Public Works, 801 W Main St New Castle, CO 81647
Water Operator Job Description
Reports to: Utilities Manager Department: Public Works
Supervision Exercised: Contracted service providers
Date Prepared: 02/08 Revised: 04/29/08, 03/21/17
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Pay Range: $20 to $28 per hour, DOQ
JOB FUNCTIONS: The major job functions of this position are described below. The description does not intend to list every function of the position.
SUMMARY: Develop and manage an annual plan for the Water Treatment Department. Perform the daily, weekly, and monthly operational duties. Perform prescribed water sampling and analysis. Perform necessary operations and process control adjustments to maintain systems within regulatory parameters. Maintain water use records
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and manage an annual plan for the Water Treatment Department
- Perform the daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual operational duties.
- Perform prescribed water sampling and analysis.
- Perform necessary operations and process control adjustments to maintain systems within regulatory parameters
- Manage the maintenance programs for the water treatment facilities
- Assist with the development and management of the Water Treatment department annual budget.
- Assist with the implementation of state and federal programs pertaining to the water treatment and quality.
- Perform prescribed reporting activities.
- Maintain water use records
- Project management duties as assigned by the Utilities Manager
- Compile and distribute consumer confidence reports and public notifications as required by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
- Distribute annual Water Audit information packets
- Develop training and safety programs for department employees as required by the Town of New Castle insurance provider.
- Periodically work weekends and holidays.
- Other duties as assigned by the Utilities Manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local water quality standards and regulations.
- Knowledge of water treatment functions.
- Ability to operate and maintain water treatment equipment.
- Knowledge of water filtration systems.
- Ability to manage expenditures to comply with annual budget.
- Knowledge of Town codes and permit requirements associated with water
- Knowledge of development review process
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions.
- Ability to interact with the general public in a positive and cooperative way.
- Ability to maintain a positive working relationship with coworkers.
Education and Experience:
- High school degree or equivalent. Three years of related work experience.
- State of Colorado Water Operator class B certificate or higher as state regulations require.
- Valid Colorado Driver’s License
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
Requires use of standard office equipment, SCADA, IFIX, Microsoft Office and various peripherals. Trucks, loaders, backhoes, snowplows, welder, piping equipment and locators, pneumatic tools, hand tools, laboratory equipment, chemicals for laboratory use and treating water, surveying instruments, and radio.
Working Environment/Physical Activities:
Work is generally performed in both an office and outdoor environment. Travel may be required. While performing the duties of this job, there is light, medium and heavy work in which the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, run, move quickly, and climb stairs and ladders. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally be lifting heavy weight and shoveling.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job.